Applications for 2024 are closed. Please check back later for future opportunities.
- Exposure and interaction with all CMA instructors and workshops
- Direct hands on experience assisting instructors during demonstrations and workshops
- Valuable experience in the craft of forging
- Experience using and maintaining forging tools and equipment
- Housing in the CMA House during your stay in Johnstown
- $350 Weekly Stipend
- Oversee all CMA workshops and ensure safety protocols are followed and tools and equipment are being used properly
- Assisting all CMA instructors during their workshop
- Helping students during the workshops
- Workshop preparation
- Tool and machinery care and maintenance
- Tool making
- General shop maintenance
- Open and close the shop daily & related responsibilities
- Ordering materials and consumables
- Deliver orientation and safety speech
- Run and oversee weekly cleanup
- Cleaning and organizing of the forging classroom and related workspaces
Join the Center for Metal Arts education staff and help ensure our classroom runs smoothly and safely for our students and instructors during our workshop season. At CMA we are passionate about the quality of the educational experience we offer to both our students and instructors. Our mission is to provide them with the best possible learning experience we can, and with that comes a lot of due diligence and responsibility.
CMA is looking for a candidate to oversee and manage all aspects of running the forging classroom. This person is someone who is passionate about forging education, excited and eager to help and work with students of all skill levels, understands the value and professional development that comes with assisting all of our instructors, and interested in all the tasks and responsibilities necessary to run an educational blacksmith shop.
This is a rigorous position for someone serious about a career in forging education who is willing and able to identify and do whatever necessary to help the student and instructor experience at CMA. The classroom assistant will get a detailed understanding of what it takes to run an educational shop.
- Strong social skills
- Positive attitude
- Responsibility & maturity
- Forward thinking
- Problem solving
- Basic knowledge of forging workshop tools, machinery and safety
- Workshop hours are typically from 9-5 Monday through Friday with occasional weekend workshops (Please look at our full workshop schedule)
- Sometimes meet instructors at the shop on Sunday before their workshop if preparations are needed
- Tuesday evenings instructor slide presentation (during workshops)
- During forging focus evening hours may be required
- Schedule adjustments will be made to accommodate if necessary